The Kitchener Rangers finished their exhibition season with a 6-4 victory over the Barrie Colts tonight.
Barrie jumped to and early lead with an Andreas Athanasiou goal that got past Rangers netminder John Gibson. Jonathan Laser picked up an assist.
The Rangers got on the board with three quick goals to put the Colts down 3-1. The Rangers dominated shots on goal in the opening period with an 18-8 advantage.
Midway through the second, the Rangers had extended their lead to 5-1. Kitchener kept up the pressure outshooting Barrie 15-5 in the second.
But the third period saw the momentum shift. Athanasiou was awarded a pentalty shot at the 5:58 of the third and put up his second of the night, giving Barrie some momentum to build on. With only 6 minutes remaining, the Colts made it 5-3 when Mark Scheifele snapped a shot past the Rangers’ Palazzese. Beyers and Ekblad picked up assists on the goal.
Curtis Meighan’s gave the Rangers a three goal lead not long after. Not letting up, Scheifele came back on the power play with his second goal of game. Zach Hall and Ekblad got the helpers. The Colts outshot the Rangers 20-10 in the third, but it wasn’t quite enough.
The Colts finish out their exhibition schedule Saturday September 15th at 7:30 against the Storm.
1. BAR A. Athanasiou, (J. Laser), 5:58
1. KIT N. Czinder, (R. Murphy, M. Puempel), 13:07 (PP)
1. KIT M. Marcantuoni (B. Fanelli, E. Ming), 14:32
2. KIT J. Sterk, (B. Thomson), 4:45
2. KIT M. Puempel, (E. Ming, M. Marcantuoni), 5:57
2. KIT B. Fanelli, (J. Sterk, M. Puempel), 9:49
3. BAR A. Athanasiou, (unassisted), 5:58 (PS)
3. BAR M. Scheifele, (S. Beyers, A. Ekblad), 13:53
3. KIT C. Meighan, (N. Czinder), 14:45
3. BAR M. Scheifele, (Z. Hall, A. Ekblad), 15:45 (PP)