Third Period Surge From Colts Leads to 6-4 Victory Over Firebirds

Terry Wilson Photography

A four goal third period by the Barrie Colts kept the Flint Firebirds winless in a 6-4 win.

After splitting the first two of the road trip, the Colts were wrapping things up in Flint on Sunday afternoon against a winless Firebirds club.

It was the home team that would open the scoring, netting the opening goal at the 8:06 mark.  It was on a power play and was the first goal with the man advantage for Flint this season.

The Colts would reply late in the period on some great passing.  A stretch pass made by Mathew Hill sprung Ryan Suzuki, who was back in the lineup after missing the previous two games who then found Ben Hawerchuk who followed that with a nice fake before tucking in his 8th to tie the game.

Less than a minute into the second period the Birds would take back the lead on a goal by Jake Durham.  Once again, Barrie would reply.  It was Jaden Peca finally getting rewarded with this 2nd of the season after being snake bitten since game one of the season.  It was a pass that had eyes from Jason Willms who found the 18 year old to bring things even.

You could say that the bad luck has been on the side of the Flint Firebirds all season as they hadn’t won a game all year, but the luck changed on the go ahead goal by Ty Dellandrea.  Tyler Tucker had the puck in his own zone and looked to move it across the ice, but fired it off the shin pad of Peter Fleming and it redirected into the back of the net behind Maksim Zhukov for the 3-2 Flint lead.

The 3rd period is where the Colts would take over. Four unanswered goals by the boys in Blue would send them to victory.

Very early in the period Ben Hawerchuk would tie the game with his second of the game and 9th of the year.  On the play Lucas Chiodo would register his 100th career assist.

Eight minutes after that Barrie would take their first lead of the game. It was Ryan Suzuki scoring his 5th of the season, which made it 4-3.

Just over a minute later they would add to it.  Peca would find the loose puck and jam it home for his 2nd of the game to extend the lead to 5-3.

At the 14:55 mark, Nathan Allensen would put home the 6th Barrie goal for his 1st of the season to cap off the 6-4 win.

The loss keeps the Firebirds winless on the season and with the win Barrie improves to 7-5-1-0.

The Colts are back in action next week on Thursday night as the head to North Bay to take on the Battalion at 7pm.

More News
1 month ago
First Round Selection Hunter Haight Commits To Colts
1 month ago
Colts Sign Hunter Haight
1 month ago
Follow #OHLDraft Day
2 months ago
#ColtsCountry: Barrie Colts to Start Delivering Meals to Those in Need
2 months ago
TRADE ALERT: Colts trade with the London Knights
2 months ago