Early Offense Drives Greyhounds Past the Colts

Terry Wilson Photography

The Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds would sprint out to an early lead and carry the offense to an 8-3 win over the Barrie Colts Thursday night.

The Colts returned to Barrie for their final home game before the Christmas break with the second and final meeting with Sault Ste. Marie.

Colts Assistant captain Ryan Suzuki would make his return to the lineup after sustaining an eye injury back on Nov 1st, but would be held off the scoresheet on the night.

The Soo would get the scoring started early on, Rory Kerins would feed Joe Carroll from behind the net coming in from the left circle to beat Arturs Silovs to make it 1-0.

Nearing the eight minute mark and just as the Colts powerplay would expire, the Hounds would quickly turn it back the other way. Kerins would convert off a two on one and fire it in putting the visitors ahead by two.

With the Greyhounds on their own powerplay Cole Mackay would increase the lead to three at 14:31 before Jason Willms would eventually get one back for the Colts. Intercepting a Greyhounds pass through the neutral zone Willms skated in all alone beating Bailey Brkin to the blocker side for his 13th of the year.

Before the period was out Billy Constantinou would pot the Hounds fourth goal of the opening frame. But just ten seconds later, Willms won the draw straight back for Tyler Tucker to blast one from the point by Brkin to cut the lead in half once again.

After a high scoring first the Greyhounds would skate ahead 4-2, but the offensive output wasn’t done yet as the pace continued into the middle frame.

At 6:46, and the Colts shorthanded, Luke Bignell would beat a Soo defender wide before handing it off to Tyson Foerster at the side of the net. The easy tap in for his 19th of the season.

The Greyhounds would open up the opportunity for the Colts to tie things up with a four minute double minor call, but once again as the penalty ran out it would be the Soo going the other way. Kerins would add insurance to the lead and then just two minutes later Cullen McLean would have the Colts doubled up 6-3 at the end of forty minutes.

In the third Mackay and Carroll would each add their second goals each to put the game out of reach.

The Colts have one more game before the Christmas break as they’ll head down to Mississauga tomorrow night to take on the Steelheads.

Tickets for all upcoming Barrie Colts home games can be purchased online, by calling 1-888-655-9090, or in person at the Colts Store.

More News
7 days ago
To Our Fans
2 weeks ago
Metal Supermarkets Toughest Plays of December
2 weeks ago
Connor Punnett First Career Goal
2 weeks ago
Mar. 11/20 – BAR (4) – OS (1)
2 weeks ago
Mar. 7/20 – OTT (6) – BAR (0)
2 weeks ago