Colts Unable to Handle the Fish in Mississauga Losing 5-2

Terry Wilson Photography

The Mississauga Steelheads three goal first period proved to be enough in their 5-2 victory over the Barrie Colts on Friday evening.

The Barrie Colts headed into Mississauga looking for the same start they got the night before in Barrie where they would score four first period goals. Instead, it was the other way around where the Steelheads would get out of the gates quickly.

The scoring didn’t take long to get started. The Mississauga Steelheads just over a minute into the game would light the lamp after a beautiful passing play.

It was an odd man rush that got the fish going on the offense. The rush was lead by Michael McLeod who made the highlight reel play to set up an easy finish for Albert Michnac who tapped in the opening marker of the game.

The fish wouldn’t stop. Less than five minutes later after a failed Barrie clearing attempt it was Trent Fox finishing off a cross crease pass that he fired past a sprawled Kai Edmonds to extend their lead to 2-0.

Late in the period Mississauga would be rewarded with a powerplay and they would make the Colts pay. With just nine seconds remaining it was Ryan McLeod finding the loose puck at the side of the goal and put it home for the commanding 3-0 lead for the fish to end the first.

In the second it was crucial for the Colts to get that next goal, and they did. It was Andrei Svechnikov who took control. He grabbed the puck and made his way wide on a defender before sneaking back in and defending the puck as he slid home his 18th goal of the season past Emanuel Vella. Aaron Luchuk and Dmitry Sokolov tallied the assists.

Less than a minute after Barrie got on the board they would take a penalty, and just like the Steelheads did in the first, they would make Barrie pay once again. Not long into the man advantage it was a shot from the point that was tipped in by Owen Tippet to restore Mississauga’s three-goal lead.

Barrie wouldn’t let that hold them back though as their top line would answer. After Svechnikov was taken down without a call the play went on, and good thing it did. The Russian forward got back to his feet in time to take a pass off his skate from Sokolov and he would bang home his second of the game to bring the score to a 4-2 Mississauga lead. Justin Murray grabbed the other assist on Barrie’s second goal.

The third period would prove to be no help to the Colts as they struggled to get anything going.

There would be no scoring till late in the game where Mississauga would get their third powerplay goal of the game to seal the victory at 5-2. Ryan McLeod would net his second of the game.

The Barrie Colts are back in action tomorrow night as they host the Central Division leading Niagara IceDogs at the Barrie Molson Centre for a 7:30pm puck drop.

More News
Barrie Colts Part Ways with Interim Head Coach Warren Rychel
1 day ago
Canade's Trio Leads Steelheads Past the Colts
4 days ago
Colts Earn Point on the Road in Shootout Loss to IceDogs
5 days ago
Colts Drop one on the Road to Attack
7 days ago
Trade Deadline Summary
1 week ago
Colts Close Out Busy Weekend with Loss to the Rangers
2 weeks ago