The 2022 OHL Priority Selection Draft is schedule to begin tomorrow evening. The Colts will be selecting 10th Overall in this year’s draft, marking the first time in club history selecting 10th overall.
The draft is to follow the below schedule:
- Fri. April 29 – 7:00 pm (Rounds 1-3)
- Sat. April 30 – 9:00 am (Rounds 4-15)
View and stream the draft for free on CHL!
“Our group of scouts once again worked extremely hard to identify the players within their regions for this 2006-born draft class. We’re in a good spot and we strongly believe we can get an impactful player at 10th overall. We’ve set ourselves up well with four selections on Friday and we’re looking forward to the draft.” Commented Rob Stewart, Assistant General Manager,
Taking a look at the previous three first-round selections the Barrie Colts have made:
- 2021 – Beau Akey – Defenceman
- Selected 19th Overall from the Waterloo Wolves U16 program, Akey appeared in 61 games this season registering 16 points (5 Goals, 11 Assists) while also suiting up all in four post-season games to date.
- Beau was selected to represent Team Canada this past December in the inaugural Capital City Challenge.
- 2020 – Hunter Haight – Centre
- Drafted 9th Overall from the Elgin Middlesex Chiefs, Haight played in 63 games this season while compiling 41 points (22 Goals, 19 Assists). In our four playoff games to date, Haight has registered four points (1 Goal, 3 Assists).
- Hunter competed in the 2022 CHL Top Prospect Game in March while being ranked 47th on NHL Central Scouting latest ranking.
- 2019 – Brandt Clarke – Defenceman
- Selected 4th Overall from the Don Mills Flyers, Brandt has gone on to register 97 points (17 goals, 80 Assists) in only 112 games played. The LA Kings selected Brandt 8th Overall in the 2021 NHL Draft.
- Clarke serves as our current captain and was recently named “Best Offensive Defenceman & Smartest Player” in the OHL Coaches Poll.
The Colts roster has several players who were drafted outside the first couple of rounds who contributed to this year’s team success:
- Oliver Smith (9th Round Selection – 2019) has appeared in 60 games while putting up 21 points (11 Goals, 10 Assists)
- Tai York (6th Round Selection – 2020) has registered 18 points (8 Goals, 10 Assists) in 43 games played.
- Roenick Jodoin (8th Round Selection – 2020) appeared in 47 games this season while notching 17 points (6 Goals, 11 Assists)
- Zach Wigle (9th Round Selection – 2020) since joining the team later in the season has scored twice in his 10 games played.
- Matteo Lalama (1st Round Selection – U18 Draft – 2019) was originally passed over in the OHL Priority Selection Draft, Matteo was selected by the Colts out of the Niagara North Stars U18 program in the U18 Draft. Appearing in 32 regular-season games this season, Lalama registered 11 wins including 1 shutout. Matteo has also appeared in two playoff games while earning 1 win with 1.68 GAA and .938 SAV%.