Colts Drop 4-2 Decision to the Steelheads


Shaw Boomhower would score early in the second period to give the Steelheads a two goal lead proving to be the game winner, as Mississauga would skate to a 4-2 victory over the Barrie Colts Saturday night.

Coming off a big 6-0 victory over Hamilton two nights prior night the Colts would welcome the Steelheads to the Molson Centre for the 1st time this season.

After recording back to back shutouts Leo Lazarev would face a tough start to this one as the opening minutes would be largely held in the Barrie end.

Just over five minutes in, Steelheads forward Nicholas Canade would throw a harmless low shot toward the Barrie goal seeming to handcuff Lazarev giving up a large rebound straight back out to oncoming Cole Schwindt who would deposit the puck into the open cage to give the Fish the first lead of the game.

The Steelheads would continue to push. With seconds remaining on a Barrie penalty the Colts would fail to clear the zone landing on the stick of Jacob Cascagnette who quickly snapped a shot over the shoulder of Lazarev to give Mississauga an early 2-0 lead.

The Colts would struggle to create much in the way of offensive opportunities in the opening half of the first but just past the 13 minute mark the Colts would get on the board.

Kyle Heitzner would enter the Steelheads zone down the left wing dropping the puck to a charging Kirill Nizhnikov. His one-timer would be blocked but come directly back to Heitzner sliding it back to Nizhnikov again and made no mistake, wiring it past the glove of Jacob Ingham for his 3rd goal of the season to cut the lead in half. Tyler Tucker would pick up the secondary assist on the play.

The Colts would get some momentum late in the period but skate into the intermission still down a goal heading into the second.

Early on in the middle frame the Steelheads would strike quick once again. Trent Fox would drop to Shaw Boomhower beating Lazarev low blocker regaining their two-goal lead.

Closing in on the midway point of the second Barrie would shift the energy back again. After forcing Ingham to make multiple big saves from furious pressure in the Steelheads zone the puck would come back to the point. Justin Murray would slide it to Jason Willms one timing a low shot to beat Ingham for his 6th to bring the boys back within one.

The back and forth scoring would continue, as the Steelheads would take advantage of another powerplay opportunity. At 11:38, Steelheads captain Nicolas Hague would connect on a slapshot from the right side once again giving the fish the two goal cushion making it 4-2.

Barrie wouldn’t make things easy on themselves taking multiple delay of game penalties rounding out the second period but managed hold their ground escaping just down by two heading into the final 20 minutes of play.

For much of the final period the Steelheads would play a tight checking defensive effort to hold the Colts at bay.

Barrie would pull the goalie in the final minutes of play attempting to get one past Ingham but he would continue to shut the door giving the fish the victory.

The Colts will now hit the road heading east next weekend beginning in Ottawa friday night and into Peterborough next Saturday for a date with the Pete’s.

Tickets for upcoming home games can be purchased in person at the Colts Store located in the Barrie Molson Centre, by calling 1-866-9-GET-TIX (1-866-943-8849), or online at


More News
Thursday Highlights: Night of firsts in Barrie
10 hours ago
Brandt Clarke First Career Goal
10 hours ago
Arturs Silovs First Career Shutout
10 hours ago
Colts Win Big in Miller's Head Coaching Debut
22 hours ago
Barrie Colts Part Ways with Interim Head Coach Warren Rychel
3 days ago
Canade's Trio Leads Steelheads Past the Colts
6 days ago