The Barrie Colts headed to Peterborough to face the Petes on a rare Tuesday night game for both clubs that turned out to be an exciting affair.

Tonight’s game seen both clubs get off to a fast start trading chances at either end. At 7:45 Peterborough would strike first on a nice pass from Peter Cerensak up the middle to a streaking Brett Findlay who was able to beat Colts goaltender Mathias Niederberger glove side. Shortly after the Pete’s went up 1 – 0 they would get another good scoring chance on a 2 on 1, where this time Niederberger would come up with a big pad save. Just a few minutes later, Barrie’s Andreas Athanasiou would break in the Pete’s zone stick handling around the defenseman to get a backhand shot off. Erik Bradford would drive to the net and bat the puck out of the air to tie the game 1 – 1. Dylan Corson would also pick up and assist. The Colts had a late scoring chance when Peterborough’s defenseman fell at the red line to create an odd man rush but Andrew D’Agostini came up big for the Pete’s.

The second period would start off with Brendan Bell and Chase Hatcher dropping the mitts trying to get the momentum for their team. The Colts would get a few good scoring chances but D’Agostini held his team in it. Peterborough would grab the lead on the power play at 5:05 of the period on a back door pass from Trevor Murphy to Alex Quine who put it home. The Petes Zach Lorentz would increase the lead mid way through the second to 3 – 1 on a one timer from Francis Menard. Alex Quine would also pick up his second point on the night. Barrie would answer on a late power play chance to cut the lead to 3 – 2. Zach Hall would come out of the corner and feed Mark Scheifele a pass who scored on a nice wrist shot from the top of the circle. Aaron Ekblad kept his point streak alive with an assist and extends his streak to 12 games. In the dying stages of the second, Erik Bradford would be tripped up on a shorthanded breakaway and was awarded a penalty shot. D’Agostini would hold the lead for the Petes 3 – 2 with a big save.

The Colts would tie the game early in the third on a shorthanded rush by Tyson Fawcett and Ryan O’Connor. Fawcett would get the puck to the Barrie captain where he made a nice deke to the backhand beating Andrew D’Agostini blocker side. The Peterborough Petes would receive their own penalty shot in the third but Mathias Niederberger made a huge stretching blocker save to keep the game tied. At 10:24 Ryan O’Connor was at it again but this time he scored on the power play with a onetime blast from the point putting the Colts ahead 4 – 3. Steven Beyers and Anthony Camara added the assists. Peterborough would put forth a late charge with the goalie out trying to tie the game but the Barrie Colts showed a gutsy effort to hang on to the lead. Brendan Bell would put this game away 5 – 3 adding an empty netter. Mathias Niederberger made 35 saves on the night for his 12th victory of the season.

The Barrie Colts will head home for a few days before a tough matchup versus the Oshawa Generals on Friday at General Motors Place. Puck drop is at 7:35.

More News
23 OHL players to represent Canada at 2017 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
2 days ago
Colts Storm Back to Bury the Troops
5 days ago
Svechnikov Vaults Colts Past the Otters 7-5
1 week ago
Colts Crush the Spirit in Saginaw
2 weeks ago
Stings Penalty Killing Shines in Colts 4-1 Loss
2 weeks ago
Svechnikov Nets First Career Hat-Trick in 3-1 Victory
2 weeks ago