Fronts Edge Colts in a 4-3 Victory

Terry Wilson Photography

The Kingston Frontenacs would score three first period goals and hang on to take a 4-3 win at the Molson Centre Thursday night.

Once again the penalty kill continued to be a nemesis for the Colts as the Frontenacs would score three powerplay goals on the night including a second period tally that would end being the game winner in this one.

The Colts would begin another busy three-in-three day stretch versus the Frontenacs, facing each other for the first time since the season opener September 23rd, where the Colts escaped with and a 2-1 victory.

Thursday night would also mark Lucas Chiodo’s 100th career Ontario Hockey League game.

The Frontenacs were looking to gain two big points and move up the ladder in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

Beginning in the first period, with the Colts serving a delay of game penalty, Kingston would capitalize on a point shot. Ovsjannikov would make the initial save but Ted Nichol would bang home the rebound to put the Fronts up 1-0.

At the thirteen-minute mark of the first period, Barrie would find the back of the net. Off a goalmouth scramble, the puck would eventually kick out to Ben Hawerchuck. He buried his 9th goal of the season past the sprawling Frontenacs net minder. Assists going to Anthony Stefano and Kade Landry.

A minute thirty later though the Frontenacs would retake the lead. With both teams having a man in the box playing 4 on 4 hockey, Kingston’s Jason Robertson would grab a loose puck behind Barrie’s net and score on a wrap around to make it 2-1.

With seconds remaining in the opening period the Frontenacs would add another dagger on the powerplay. Linus Nyman would fire a slap shot from the top left circle, Stephen Desrocher left alone in front of Ovsjannikov would get his stick on it tipping it past the Colts goalie.

Barrie would come out of the dressing room for the second looking to shift the momentum.

A minute into the second period, Roy Radke picked up the puck in the slot off a Kingston turnover and rifled a wrist shot over the blocker side of Mario Peccia for his 10th goal of the season, getting the boys back within one.

With seven minutes remaining in the middle frame while Barrie was again down a man and Kingston pouring on the shots. One would manage to squeak through the pads of Ovskannikov, but Colts defenseman Joey Keane would clear the puck away just before the puck managed to cross the goal line.

The Frontenacs would keep the shots coming. Two minutes later with Barrie once again on the penalty kill, Eemeli Rasanen would fire a shot to the back of the net to put Kingston back up by two carrying a 4-2 lead into the third period.

For much of the final frame the Frontenacs would do their best to limit any chances as the Colts would come alive.

At 7:26, Kade Landry snapped a shot from in close creating a rebound and Radke once again would find himself Johnny on the spot, the bounce going directly to him to bury his second of the game and 11th of the season to get the Colts back within a goal.

The Colts would continue to put forth a strong, determined effort, killing off a late penalty with five minutes remaining in the final frame pressing for the tying marker. The Colts would outshoot the Frontenacs 13-7 in the period but Kingston would hold on for the victory.

Barrie will face the Bulldogs in Hamilton Friday night, before closing out another three-in-three weekend Saturday when they will host the Sarnia Sting. Both games slated for a 7:30pm puck drop.

More News
Three Stars: February 14, 2019
1 day ago
Feb 14/19 - BAR (4) - PBO (2)
1 day ago
Hawerchuk and Colts Double Up Petes 4-2
2 days ago
Feb. 13/19 - BAR (3) - OS (4) - OT
2 days ago
Attack Steal One in Overtime 4-3
3 days ago
POTN - Kai Edmonds Scorpion Save
4 days ago