The top two teams in the OHL battled it out for first place at the Bayshore Community Centre in Owen Sound tonight.

A first period dominated by the Barrie Colts wasn’t enough as they found themselves down by one after twenty minutes. Attack’s goaltender Jordan Binnington was tested early on numerous Barrie scoring chances but kept the puck out of his net. The Colts lethal power play saw its first chance of the game at 10:40 when the Attack received a two many men penalty. Barrie moved the puck well but could not solve Binnington. Late in the first period a scrambled play in the Colts zone would lead to the Attack jumping out to a 1 – 0 lead. At 19:20 the puck would bounce off a few skates right to Cameron Brace in the slot who managed to beat Mathias Niederberger glove side. The Barrie Colts had 12 shots in the first.

The pace picked up in the second between these two teams as they both traded hits and scoring chances. An early 2 on 1 almost saw the game tied but Colts Ryan O’Connor rang the puck off the bar. At 14:21 Brendan Bell and Devon Rymarchuk dropped the mitts trying to get the edge for their team in a spirited scrap. Goaltenders Mathias Niederberger and Jordan Binnington continued their stellar play between the pipes and this game would head to the third with Owen Sound still up 1 – 0.

Early on in the final frame, Owen Sound thought they had taken a 2 – 0 lead. The goal would be called back as it was kicked in on a jammed play in front of Niederberger. The Barrie Colts had a tremendous chance to tie the game when Anthony Camara and Steven Beyers broke in on a 2 on 0. Beyers got a nice shot off but Jordan Binnington would make the save. In the final minutes, Attack’s Cameron Brace made a nice move to get in alone on Mathias Niederberger. Niederberger stood tall and robbed Brace with a quick glove save to keep this game at 1 – 0. Just moments later with the Barrie Colts pulling the goalie, the Colts thought they tied the game. Forward Steven Beyers let a shot off from the point that missed high but found its way to Andreas Athanasiou at the side of the net. With 1.9 seconds left Athanasiou put the puck home but it was waved off by the referee. With what should have been a goal, it was called back and ruled that the puck was high sticked earlier in the play.

A very controversial call led to the Barrie Colts suffering only their 6th loss of the season, falling 1 – 0 to the Owen Sound Attack. Jordan Binnington OHL player of the week, posted his third shut out in a row. Mathias Niederberger played a solid game for Barrie stopping 28 of 29 shots. The Colts will look to rebound tomorrow night when they host the visiting Brampton Battalion. Click here for tickets.

More News
23 OHL players to represent Canada at 2017 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
2 days ago
Colts Storm Back to Bury the Troops
5 days ago
Svechnikov Vaults Colts Past the Otters 7-5
1 week ago
Colts Crush the Spirit in Saginaw
2 weeks ago
Stings Penalty Killing Shines in Colts 4-1 Loss
2 weeks ago
Svechnikov Nets First Career Hat-Trick in 3-1 Victory
2 weeks ago