Barrie Comes Up Short in Kitchener

Terry Wilson Photography

A reviewed goal early on in the third period ended up being the difference in Kitchener’s 5-3 victory over Barrie.

It all started with a harmless shot on goal that struck the foot of Cedrid Scheimenz that got past Christian Propp that gave the Rangers a 4-2 lead at the time, a lead they didn’t relinquish.

The game started in Barrie’s favour, having two power-play opportunities within the first five minutes of the game. After the first one was unsuccessful, the boys had a chance to redeem themselves, but instead it turned into the visitors favour.

Darby Llewellyn went in on Christian Propp and beat him on the glove side. Propp was making his first start since the great performance in Mississauga, back stopping the team to victory. Jake Henderson picked up the lone assist on the games opening goal.

A few minutes later Llewelleyn was at it again, this time deking out a Colts defender and showing off the quick hands as he put the backhander past Propp’s blocker hand this time around, for his second of the game and 12th of the season.

Less than two minutes later Lucas Chiodo weaved his way in to the Kitchener zone stepped to the middle and threw one on net that beat the glove hand of Luke Richardson, on one the Barrie, ON native would want back. The goal was his 14th of the season assisted by Tyler Tucker.

With a little more than five minutes remaining in the first period one of the newcomers Jason Smith was set up perfectly by Roy Radke, but he wasn’t able to bury it as Richardson came across to make the big stop.

Barrie would keep the pedal down, this time getting some luck down one end and turning it into gold at the other. After having a shot go off the post on Propp, Chiodo picked up the loose puck and skated it up the wing before finding Anthony Stefano who finished it off by firing it past Richardson for his 14th of the year, tying the game up. Ben Hawerchuk picked up the other assist on the goal.

Just a couple minutes into the second frame it was all Kitchener as they threw everything towards Propp who had to be sharp on a few occasions keeping the game tied.

Just past the midway mark of the period Kitchener was able to set up a give in go out of the Barrie corner. Joseph Garreffa was the man who put it behind Propp and Adam Mascherin was the setup man. The goal gave the Rangers the lead back, before Barrie was able to record a shot on net in the period.

With just over seven minutes remaining in the period Kitchener was looking for more. Coming down the wing was Eric Guest with a teammate alongside but he decided to shoot and Propp was able to make the save keeping it a one goal lead.

After Kitchener added to their lead, the Colts would strike back. After Kitchener native Jason Willms kept the puck in at the blue-line the puck bounced to Giordano Finoro who snapped one bar down to cut the lead to one. The goal was Finoro’s 8th goal of the year.

That’s as close as the guys would get on this night though, as Kitchener would add a late one on a power-play to make it 5-3. The win ended the season series between the two clubs at one game a piece.

The Colts are back in action tomorrow night at home as they welcome the Niagara Ice Dogs to town before finishing up their 3 in 3 weekend on the road in North Bay.

More News
67's Double Up Colts 4-2 on Saturday Night
2 days ago
Guelph Skates to 4-3 Win Over Colts
3 days ago
Game 3 Nov. 8/18 - RUS (1) - OHL (3)
4 days ago
Penalty shots and highlight reel goals lead OHL over Russia in Sarnia
4 days ago
Fill the Bus Campaign is Another Success
4 days ago
Team OHL prepares for reinforced Russians
5 days ago